60: Home
61: Community Forums
62: Home
63: Community Forums
64: Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Main › General Gaming Discussion › Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15
Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexGeneral Gaming Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever participated in a Middle-earth based Paper and Dice RPG?
No, never.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, as a player.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, as a GM.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, as both GM and player.
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

merpcon
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15

We need additional game masters for the upcoming Tolkien Moot 2010 convention in Spokane, Washington, USA.

The event is taking place this year on August 13-15.

We need experienced paper and dice role playing game masters, using any system, that can GM in a Tolkien-based (Middle-earth and beyond) setting.

There will be on average 3-6 players per table, every effort will be made to NOT overload tables/GMs.

For more information, and to submit your application, please see the Tolkien Moot website at:

http://www.tolkienmoot.org

Or contact Hawke at 509.315.1315

Please do not hesitate to at least make contact ASAP.

Namarie!

CrusaderC
Awkward new guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13

I've submitted twice in the last two weeks to run a game or games for your event via the website application. Is the con still taking place or has it been cancelled?

Carlton
merpcon
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15

The convention is still taking place as scheduled, August 13-15. There is just a lot on the plate right now. The previous reply sent was bounced back due to an email typo. A re-send should happen soon.

CrusaderC
Awkward new guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15

At this point a simple: Thank you, we're not interested would have sufficed or any reply at all, really. I've enjoyed the professor's works since I was a child and would have enjoyed participating in the event despite the fact that I'm not well versed in rule sets specific to the setting; I'd have done my best to tailor a game to the best of my ability to fit the circumstances. I am unable to do so without at least some lead notice.

I sincerely hope your event is a great success.
merpcon
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15

Greetings CrusaderC,
Sorry I was unable to get back to you. I truly am on overload juggling the Tolkien Magazine, radio show, game system development, software development, and the convention.
What I wanted to propose was if you wanted to join as a player this year, but we arrange for you to GM a table for next year, for those who want a more Christian flavor to the game. You could then use your system of preference, at long as it was adapted to Middle-earth. We would put a checkmark/selection option the RSVP form for those who had that as a preference. We have usually had 1-2 gamers who clearly had such a preference each year, and it is possible with such an option as a table dedicated to that preference, more would attend.
Please keep my email handy, tolkienscholars at gmail dot com. Meanwhile, if you can make it, even to just drop by for the guest speaking, singing, or other events, or want to participate at a table (there is only one seat left for the adults), please RSVP.
Namarie!
-Hawke

CrusaderC
Awkward new guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13

I'm dissapointed that the con comittee would feel that a Christian-themed event would need to be segregated from the rest of the con. I don't find it incompatible with either JRRT's own philosphy or that of Middle Earth. I respect the group's decision, however, and will consider your suggestion. I'll take a look at the website RSVP again and see if I can make one of the non-gaming events.

Carlton
merpcon
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13

We have had the occasional Christian-focused gamers express discomfort with some of the "magic" and other items they felt at odds with their beliefs while others did not consider it an issue at all. While it is true that Tolkien was a devout Catholic, that is not necessarily how must role playing gamers interact in Middle-earth (and beyond), thus the suggested possibility for a table dedicated to a more Christian-centric interpretation.

We also hope to have a table for Deaf role players next year as well (currently making arrangements for that, since we were unable to prepare that in time for this year). We also keep the youth tables separate from the adult tables so that the occasional language that might occasionally slip out during moments of excitement does not conflict with a younger group.

So, we are attempting to balance encouraging everyone of many backgrounds to participate, and remain comfortable with their peers.

We greatly look forward to your joining us this year.

Namarie!

merpcon
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15

I think I should mention too, that we normally separate tables for different play styles and game systems. For example, last year, we had a table dedicated for those who preferred Harnmaster adapted to Middle-earth (players who were interested in that system, chose that), others played at a table focused on using ICE MERP, and others d20, etc. Different players often express a preference for game system, and as the event grows, we hope to let folks choose preferred "Ages" (First Age, Second Age, Third Age, Fourth Age, etc.). So it will be great to have the added options available for the varied preferences many have.
Cheers!

VictorTyne
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13

merpcon wrote:
We have had the occasional Christian-focused gamers express discomfort with some of the "magic" and other items they felt at odds with their beliefs

Seriously? This is honestly a concern that a Middle-Earth Convention has to take into consideration?
Michael_Martinez

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15

VictorTyne wrote:
merpcon wrote:
We have had the occasional Christian-focused gamers express discomfort with some of the "magic" and other items they felt at odds with their beliefs

Seriously? This is honestly a concern that a Middle-Earth Convention has to take into consideration?
It's honestly a concern that a gaming conference has to take into consideration. Players can be fussy and fun at the same time. He is just trying to give people the freedom to choose which game system they play under.

It's asking a lot of an event organizer to take on a new game system AND referee with no prior knowledge of either. I think the offer of coming on as a player this year and running a table next year was both appropriate and reasonable.

CrusaderC
Awkward new guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15

In all fairness, I wasn't asking anyone on the concom to run the game. I'm not sure how it could equate to asking them to take on a new game system. One of the attractions of conventions for me is learning new systems. If no one signs up for my offering, fair enough, usually there are other events for me to check out. I said earlier in the thread a simple "no thank you" would have been sufficient.

Unfortunately, the only replies I have recieved on the issue have been in response to this thread. At no time has anyone bothered to send an email directly to me. I am fully aware that a thematically Christian RPG might not be to everyone's taste. I simply made an offer; I believe that should warrant enough courtesy for a reply.
VictorTyne
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15

CrusaderC wrote:
I am fully aware that a thematically Christian RPG might not be to everyone's taste. I simply made an offer; I believe that should warrant enough courtesy for a reply.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. They should have given you a reply.

Said reply should have consisted of "This is a Tolkien convention, not bible study. There are no christians in Middle-Earth so please take your thinly-veiled attempt at proselytizing elsewhere" instead of the polite and professional response you got.

Kudos to you, MerpConGuy for your good public relations. Now if I could just figure out how to make your RSVP web form work without typing in my home address, phone number, and social security number I'd probably show up.
CrusaderC
Awkward new guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15

Quote::

Said reply should have consisted of "This is a Tolkien convention, not bible study. There are no christians in Middle-Earth so please take your thinly-veiled attempt at proselytizing elsewhere" instead of the polite and professional response you got.

At what point do you believe I was being deceptive in my request? I made it clear in my initial RSVP what kind of event I was looking to run. That in itself warrants an attack on my beliefs? Funny- I so often see Christians attacked as intolerant.
merpcon
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need More Game Masters Tolkien Moot Convention August 13-15

VictorTyne wrote:
CrusaderC wrote:
I am fully aware that a thematically Christian RPG might not be to everyone's taste. I simply made an offer; I believe that should warrant enough courtesy for a reply.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. They should have given you a reply.

Kudos to you, MerpConGuy for your good public relations. Now if I could just figure out how to make your RSVP web form work without typing in my home address, phone number, and social security number I'd probably show up.

VictorTyne, I'm sorry you feel that way, I do not believe he was making any such attempt, and I would ask you to please keep it polite here. He was open, honest, and straight forward with me, and was not deceptive (thinly or otherwise) in anyway. Let's please not degrade the conversation.
Also, since Tolkien was devoutly Catholic (and helped convert C.S. Lewis to Christianity), many Christians feel a strong bond to his works, a number of books have been written on the topic, so it is not mutually exclusive by any means, but some people are more sensitive on each side of the topic than others. I find that most consider it a none issue, but as your posting shows, some people are less comfortable than others.

Btw, I did finally get an email reply to him, albeit it so very belatedly, my many apologies for taking so long.

As for the RSVP form, you do not need to fill out the street address or even zip code, only city, state, and country (and of course your name). I am sorry if you feel it is overly invasive information, but it is pretty standard for such events (often more information, so that postal mail can be sent, but we do not usually send postal mail). The information is never shared with anyone else, so you won't get spammed or have your information spread anywhere else.

The RSVP is critically necessary if you wish to participate in the RPG sessions at a table. If you are only planning to show up for the music performances, guest speaker sessions, Tolkien panel, Middle-earth Radio Talk Show, or the movies, then the RSVP is not critical (though still helpful in making sure we have enough chairs setup), and you can show up when you wish (see the schedule on the website).

Namarie!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexGeneral Gaming Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: