101: Stories Archive
102: Community Forums
103: Home
104: Home
105: Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Miniature Gaming › Flames of War › Strange Request ?
Strange Request ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bootneck
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Strange Request ?

Hello There !

I have been following the discussions on this forum for a while and as the topic states I have a strange request - let me expand :-

I have been playing FoW for 18 months now and was just entering into the tournament circuit when they changed the rules Rolling Eyes If it is ok with you guys I would like to discuss tactics with you & gaming experiences on this Forum.

I cannot get down to Merlyns or the Y or even Spokane for that matter as I live in the UK . I am a member of a club , the members of which do play FoW but not for as long as I .

If you dont mind swopping ideas , tactics , painting tips and anecdotes with me I would be grateful ! Razz

What say you ? Wink

Regards

Bob
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Request ?

Bob,

No problem, swap away.

Chris
Bootneck
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Request ?

Thanks Chris ,

First off I'd better introduce my army , U.S. rifle company

HQ with Bazooka

Short infantry platoon with Bazooka

Short infantry platoon with Bazooka

HMG platoon

57mm anti tank platoon

2 section mortar platoon

3 shermans

3 shermans

3 M5

This is under version 1 , I am thinking of doing away with the mortars and putting a battery of 105's in for version 2 ?

The army performs well , I win more than I lose anyway Rolling Eyes but now the rules are changing I am a bit lost as to wether it will work as is or should it be changed ? Nobody I game with is playing V2 yet as there are still several tournaments on the circuit that have decided to stick with V1 , it looks like we will not change until September over here .

So , all comments will be welcome , Good , bad & Ugly Laughing

Cheers

Bob

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Request ?

As a version 1 force that looks very good. As for version 2, I don't have the Afrika list so can't tell you what the points changes will be for your US troops. I play mainly Soviet and German on the Eastern Front. Granted I fought a 1940 battle vs. France yesterday, but that is the exception.

If you are winning more than losing, then your list ability is fine. Your list may need a tweak or two. Are you losing on specific types of missions or in specific types of Terrain(or lack of terrain)? Are you losing more to a specific type of enemy force(armor, mech inf, etc.)?

Before you make drastic changes or any at all. Analyze what works and what doesn't. Figure out what isn't working and why. Could it possibly work better if played differently?

Chris
DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Request ?

Bob, always good to hear from another gamer. I have found different tactics are played in different areas of the world, so your input is helpful. Now, for US. I have played US rifle or US mech for a long time. Your mix is a good mix. I take it your boards are fairly open because you are a bit tank heavy for V2. Artillery and Mortars are so much more effective that everyone is adding more tubes. The concealment rules make it tough to go into difficult terrain after infantry. You are running short Infantry platoons that if you add terrain the way FOW wants now, you may find you don't have the muscle needed to take an objective in woods or a built up area. If you guys are going to continue to play on basicly open terrain boards, then I don't think I would change a thing. Myself, I have changed to a 105 battery and 2 mortar batterys. Lots of templates. I can pin most troops and assault with my infantry. I buy every bazooka team I can. A 5+ is a good chance to kill any armor out there. My armor is now decreased to 1 platoon and I use them as a fire brigade. Pioneers under the new rules are more effective and I have added a group. The new rules have gotten me to change a fair number of things. So once you get into V2, you will see what works or doesn't for you. I plan on playing US Rifle next week, I willlet you know how it goes. Terry

Bootneck
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Request ?

Played two games of V1 on friday against a Luftwaffe FeldKompanie and Soviet Strelkovy Batalion as a practise for a tournament the two guys were going to , Pretty much got my backside handed to me on a plate due to their Airpower !

Lost all my tanks in turn 1 against the germans and my mortars and HMGs in turn two against the Soviets Embarassed

How telling is the airpower in V2 ? I have thought about Anti - Air for a while but its no use me buying (and painting Laughing ) some if it is not as effective in V2 - or do I get some myself to help fend off the circling stuka's Rolling Eyes

Playing my first V2 on tuesday night - I will let you know what I used and how it went afterwards

Bob

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Request ?

Air power is less devastatiing in version 2, AA is more and less effective.

Your own air, does not turn against you now, but cannot be used within 16" of the enemy. For air intercepts you now need to roll a 6 to stop enemy air.

AA now gets its full rof when shooting at planes, but needs to destroy them or they keep going. AA's range was lowered a little bit in Ver. 2 but that does not really matter if you set it in the middle of the table and spread it out a bit. It still covers most of your side of the table.

I have yet to use Air for myself in version 2. But I always field AA if possible. It just has to many other uses besides shooting at airplanes. It is ourstanding vs. Lt. armor and infantry and with a FP better than MG's it can work to dig out your opponent when your light weapons can't.

Chris
Bootneck
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Request ?

mmmmmmm!

I was thinking of getting some self propelled (GMC) AA vehicles to place with my artillery to protect it from air attack and also infantry , especially if they are in half tracks ! I really think the AT value ROF and Firepower of the AA guns will make them ideal for that role. The last thing I want is my artillery overrun by light armour and mounted infantry before I can get my leg infantry in to help , and I dont want to tie down my combat platoons to defend the artilley if I can help it - they need to put pressure forwards not watch their backs all the time ! Razz

Bob

DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Request ?

Bob, The other thing is air has to range in. I have seen 2 games now where the guy had a hard time ranging in or ranged in on the second or third try and had to add the modifiers. Add to this that air has to hit only one platoon and it makes them much less effective. For germans I like the 20mm, either around my artillery or on tracks to follow the tanks. High ROF and rarely are you dealing with more then one or two planes. Also with the command distance increased you can really spread them out. US mobile AA is realy good and Bofars are great on the ground. Air really shouldn't be a big problem. Terry

Bootneck
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Request ?

Thanks for that guys Very Happy

tonite I am playing my first game of V2 - against a british first army force with 6 Churchills and a full Field Artillery Battery Sad

I am going to use air support and mobile AA - a battery of 105's and a 3" and chemical mortar battery , 2 full infantry platoons - HMG platoon - 57mm A/T platoon and a section of M10's. Will let you know how I do later on Very Happy

Bob

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Request ?

good luck,

chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: