104: Community Forums
105: Stories Archive

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Miniature Gaming › Flames of War › Flames of war day
Flames of war day

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

panzer_IV wrote:
hi iam new and i will be willing to go to merlyns any time during the week and it would be cool if any of yo guys would like to show up friday at merlyns around 11 to mabey 3 or 4 and if so please relay very soon

Panzer, Do you have a force, or do you still just have that one panzer?

Register at this Miniature War Game forum for free!!!
minibattles.freeforums...portal.php
panzer_IV
Seasoned Browser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

i have 2 panzer IV h 's and i have a panzer IV e and a machine gun platoon and if anyone is willing to help i would greatly apreciate
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

Today's game day was a great success. I am not sure exactly how many players showed up but I saw some great one on one battles and some great multiplayer battles. I hope next weeks game day at Merlyn's will have more players involved.

Next week I expect to demonstrate the new Fortification rules from the Version 2 Hardback edition. Those of you interested in seeing some of the new rules only available in the Hardback rulebook please drop by. I will be facing Michael Haughts vaunted Finnish Infantry force defending the famed Mannerheim Line of fortresses that guarded the Soviet/Finland frontier. We will be demonstrating the new Fortification/bunker rules. Anyone that can please drop by. When we finalize the date of the game, we will announce it here and on the FoW forum site for opponent finders and clubs.

Snakesh!t's US Airborne were destroyed while trying to capture an Airfield in Italy from the valiant FJ troops defending. During the initial drop the US Airborne commander was the only unit that dropped successfully on the map and was destroyed by the FJ defenders. As the scattered 82nd boys moved towards their objectives around the Airfield Andrew's FJ troops destroyed them piecemeal. Great Game, losing the CO on turn 1 because he was the only one to successfully drop in the zone, was a sad case of the Dice Gods not liking you Tabor.

I faced Clayton's Metropolitan EW French infantry force in a great mission provided by Mike Miller. We played a consolidation mission. I played an EW German Infanterie Company. Clayton had 9 platoons and started with both of his 75 4gun batteries on the board as well as his supply vehicles and two HMG platoons. He chose to be dugin and had no ambush platoons. He kept his 4 infantry platoons and the 47mm ATX platoon in reserve.

I started with two Infantry platoons, my 3gun 105 battery and my HQ, 2IC and ATR stand on the board. I had a full mortar platoon, hmg platoon and infantry platoon in reserve, plus my opponent let me field 2 pz 1's with my last 90 points or so, since my 221/222 armored cars had not arrived before the game.

The defender had first turn, His CO moved to be closer to one flank. I ranged in on a single HMG and 75 gun in the first round but caused no casualties. His second turn he dug in his HQ. I caused no casualties with my all guns repeat and rolled no reserves. So I double timed with my infantry towards the French lines. The map was ver cluttered with ridges and woods. The only real killing zone was the last 20" or so to the where the HMG's had dug in.

Turn three the French 75 batteries fire their first salvos. All misses and the Infantry platoons move forward unmolested. My 105's draw first blood and destroy an HMG stand. I still cannot roll reserves.

French 75's finally get a hit on both my advancing infantry platoons. No casualties but pin the platoons in place. I finally get my first reserve with three dice and bring my Mortars on, they need to advance some 36" to get within range as his defense is layered and at the end of a long 4x8 board. Yep attacking long end to long end. Both infantry platoons remain pinned as I miss both motivation rolls. Silly me forgot to move my HQ forward with the infantry. My mortars are in trucks as I paid the upgrade and they double up the valley, no roads so only 16".

His 75's keep hammering my two infantry platoons. No casualties but hits that keep both platoons pinned. Slowing me up even further. Without thinking I sent my 105 transports to the rear on turn 1. Now I realize that I can just barely hit his first line some 72" away. Wish I had left those trucks on the board and moved my 105's where I could have hit his entire defensive line. (This cost me any chance of winning this mission)

At this point the game became maneuver and stay out of Arty fire from the 75's. I positioned my forces so that he only ever got one or maybe sometimes two stands under a template. My 105's finally started taking a toll and killed a few stands. Dropping an HMG, 75 and observer over a three turn period. My mortar platoon of six guns took till turn 7 to get into position to fire.

During this time the French reinforced their defensive lines with 4 infantry platoons and the AT guns. Making an interlocking defensive line with everyone dugin, gone to ground and concealed except the arty which kept firing.

My pz 1's came on in turn 4 and moved towards the front at the double. During turn 6-9 they drew both 75 gun batteries attention. Both of my pz 1's were hit multiple times and bailed almost every French firing cycle. Amazingly I kept making my AT save or he kept missing his FP. Those pz 1's got Iron Crosses for both crews as they cleared the HMG's from the left flank.

Alas by turn 10, it was figured that the German advance had not consolidated fast enough and the Victory went to the French Defenders that had dug in and slowed down the German advance thru good positioning of the HMG platoons and superior artillery skills from the 75 batteries by periodically pinning the oncoming infantry.

Lessons I learned as a German EW player attacking French Infantry. Never, Never send your 105 transport to the rear if your opponent does not have arty that can reach you. Also, never ever bring HMG's to an attack mission without transports to haul them. The points would have been better spent on some armored cars with MG's or 20mm's.

All respect and credit must go to my opponent Clayton that played the perfect French Defense. Both tactically and historically. He dug in instead of using ambush, he moved his reserves into position to counterassault the objectives then dug them in. His arty was used in such a way as to slow my advance.

His HMG line absolutely intimidated my infantry approach. I froze at 20-24" inside woods with three infantry platoons waiting for my mortars, 105's and pz1's to clear an approach so I could advance and then assault his lines. At turn 10 it looked like it would take at least 3-5 more turns to clear one flank or the other to advance my enemy.

At that point I had to admit utter defeat. Clayton being a gracious enemy said it was a draw. I corrected him and said the mission was for me to capture an objective. As I did not he won 6-1. I did finally kill one of his HMG platoons. But it took 10 turns.

My mistake with my Arty is I didn't stay focused and bounced it around periodically. I should have hammered a single flank and pushed home the assault in one small section of the map. It was my only chance to win, and I fundamentally blew it by being chaotic and oppurtunistic, instead of methodical. Great game Clayton, I hope to get another chance.

Michael's Finns took on Gang's Soviets in another hard fought battle. The Soviet's triumphed in the end but merely won enough land to bury their dead in. Michael(Scary Biscut) Finn scout platoon once again missed multiple motivation rolls for assault and then for platoon morale and fled the field without doing really much of anything. The platoon is still black primered, I am telling you Mike, its a sign. VC in black pajamas. Poor morale for those chaps, give them some new uniforms. It couldn't hurt. Mike's BT-42's didn't do much and seem to have been a points sink, similar to my own HMG platoon.

Andrew and Mike Perry took On Snakesh!it(Tabor) in a free for all. Andrew and Mike took US Armor vs. Tabor's FJ's. The Turning point came when Tabor missed his ST roll and left his Tiger hanging in the breeze. Mike Perry then revealed his M10's and destroyed the Tiger. This wouldn't have been so bad, had not Tabor missed several(not just one) tank terror motivation tests to assault the US tanks on that flank. Had he made those rolls he had a chance to roll back the whole US left flank. As a result of missing those rolls, his own left flank collapsed as the Tiger and the three FJ platoons holding down that flank slowly got crushed by Stewarts, Lees and Shermans. With a healthy dose of some Priest loving from afar.

Tabor held on for at least 5 more turns before he was forced to take a company morale check he auto failed as his CO had led from the front and taken a bullet for his courage.

I didn't get to meet everyone, but there were alot of new faces, some old friends and foes and I had a great time playing and a great time just watching the battles.

Alex from Y announced that they will be holding a Tournament within the next month to two months, with an army box of the winners choice(from what is in stock) as the grand prize. I probably will not play, but I volunteered to work as a judge if needed. I hope that if we scramble, we can make this a regional qualifier for Origins thru BF. I would also like to see us do the same here at Merlyns within the same time frame, 1-3 months.

Chris
Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

I would really like to see a tournament at merlyns before school starts again. It would defenetaly be a much bigger one than the last, due to more interest and players.

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

I am hoping we can start driving up attendance at Merlyn's as well as other local places so we can get enough people to run several nice tournaments.

Chris
panzer_IV
Seasoned Browser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

hey i am still wondering if anyone is going to show up friday and if so please reply asap and i would greatly appretiate the help
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

I cannot make it this Friday as I have already used up my juice for this week. I will be at Merlyn's sometime next week.

good luck,

Chris
Guard??
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

Hey, this is Sean. Friday I will be at Hobbytown at the Y but not Merlyns. If you can make it up to Hobbytown there should be a few player willing to help (including myself). Let me know if you can make it.
panzer_IV
Seasoned Browser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

hey i think i might be able to make it down there but i need to know the time to be there also should i bring all that i have yes or no please relply if you are on thanx
Guard??
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

I'll be getting there around 3pm. What do you have for your army? If you dont have much you might not want to bring them, I do have German Grenadiers you can use. Let me know if this works out.
Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

By the way it sounds he probabaly has around roughly 500 points with his tanks. And 220 more points wont even get him to 1000. So I dont think you need to bring your things. I cant make it on friday, but I am going to be able to go next week.

Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

What day and time are we playing next week? I would like to know, if you dont know yet could you tell me if it would be late next week or early next week.

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

I am waiting to hear back from Terry on the day and time he is available. I will probably be able to bring some more friends with me as well. I still plan on playing at least one board with Fortifications to highlight the new rules from the Hardback book.

Chris
Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

I cant make it to the merlyns tournament!! Sad Its the day we get back from camping. Also as well, I will only be able to play next week on monday, tuesday, or wednesday, then i am leaving for more... camping.

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war day

Camping is fun. We will miss you at Merlyn's. All is not lost. Don't worry about it and I hope to see you the following week or soon after.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: