142: Community Forums
143: Community Forums
144: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Miniature Gaming › Flames of War › Game Day Recap
Game Day Recap

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Game Day Recap

A spirited battle in the French Boucage saw the US mech (MIKE), victorious over the Panzer Company of (Von Evan). Us air failed to show up but US artillery did have its moments. Initially German fire had good effect, but the US Infantry advanced and put a Bazooka shell into the side of the Tiger holding the road. With that the Germans having had there company commander killed and the 2IC killed, quit the field.
On the other table Chris advanced a 2,000 point grenadier force on seans Russians. It looked like Chris would sweep the field but at the last minute russian reserves arrived to save the day. A close contest.
Onthe third table, a German Luftwaffe Grenadier force advanced and took the town and the objective because the British were having Tea and forgot to show. If you remember the seen from a Bridge Too Far, the British had to stop for Tea. I think every one had a good time.

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Game Day Recap

Today we had a game day at Merlyn's in Spokane, thanks John. We started with a demonstration and discussion about the new fortification rules and bunkers. How to pin one, how to kill one and how to assault bunkers. How bunkers fight back, how the Defensive Fire and such. Then I ran a quck conversation of terrain building. Showing the different steps to making bunkers, quick easy and cheap.

After describing the bunkers no one actually wanted to play a mission use them so Without Michael Haught there to defend them with Finns they sat on the sidelines for the rest of the day.

Mike P. and Evan had a great battle in the Bocage territory. Evan learned that even Tigers should now be afraid of Bazooka's in close assault. And don't park to close to houses as the infantry have a bad habit of assaulting out of them and not getting shot at with defensive fire. The American Armored Tank unit did much better than the Germans bashing there way thru the Bocage. They brought their recovery vehicle and it did wonders for them. The Germans in their Pz III's and IV's had a considerable time dealing with the nasty bocage. Mike won a hard fought battle.

I myself face off against Sean and his 2000 point Strelk unit. I brought 2000 points of Grenadiers. We fought a Hold the Line with the Strelk defending. Sean was a gentleman and placed all of his units on the board and held none back as ambush. He placed a full Gods of War battery and a full Heavy Mortar company as well in the back, out of sight and in range of everything on the map. His two forward companies were a two platoon strelk with AT rifle support and an HMG company with 9 nasty HMG's holding down the other flank.

He had another two platoon strelk company in reserve, a 45mm at gun company in reserve, 10 T34 Tank Company in reserve. And his 2Ic and some 45 guns and ATR. He switched out his 9tube 82mm mortar company to try out the Heavy Mortars instead. On defense they didn't do as well, as possibly the 9 gun smaller mortars would have done with the big battalions rule. But we both learned something.

I fielded 3 full gren platoons, a pioneer platoon, a full mortar platoon, 2 88's standard rate of fire, 2 150mm infantry guns, 2 pak 40 7.5mm guns, and an ATR stand in my HQ.

Yep no Tanks or Stugs. I regretted that later when his T34's came to crash the part on turn 4 when he finally rolled his first reserves. He actually rolled three at once to make up for missing them over three straight turns and just in time to save the day.

The initial four turns were an interesting one. His dugin Strelk and HMG's were inside the forest line and could only see 6" with 3 HMG's on the far flank just sitting in the open.

I made a major deployment flaw and initial move when I failed to spot his perfect line of sight to a mass of my units. He put 17 german stands under the Gods of War on his first turn. I only lost three stands, 2 of them mortars. You should have seen those rats running out from under that double template the following turn.

Sean made a mistake when he charged out of protection and assaulted my German Grens in the Open. He killed some of my Grens with shooting and then some more in the assault. I failed morale and fled ending the turn pinned. He consolidated but couldn't get all of his unit back into the trees, so My Pioneer platoon, my 5 remaining stands from my Gren platoon and my Inf Guns and 105 Arty all hit his Strelk unit a heavy blow on turn three. Sending the remnants of the unit back into hiding.

On the other flank I approached his Hmg's and risked 18 shots so that the following turn I would be in position to maul them. He fired the three that had LOS and got only 4 hits in 18 shots. I saved them all. The following turn I opened up with two platoons killing almost half of the HMG's. I hit them with arty and took down all but 5 stands. Then assaulted and he missed pinning me by a single hit and took the company down to a commander and two hmg's. He fled the assault and didn't unpin his nest turn. He shot his 5 shots and caused a single casualty taking me to 5 total stands of 10 in that platoon. I assaulted, he did not pin me and I killed the HMG company to the man. But he had bled me to 5 stands in one platoon, killed three of my mortars or 6 and killed three stands in my other gren platoon.

To clear the first line of defense it had cost me 5+5+3+3+3pioneers. I had lost nearly half of all my infantry taking out only two of his companies. He still had another Strelk company coming and his T34's and his AT gun company with ROF 3 24" range.

At the end of my turn 4 I was with in striking distance of two of the objectives. His turn 4 he brought on 3 reserve companies and swung the pendulum back his way. I had to limber up the 88's and start pushing the pak 40's up so I could contest the objectives and at least have overwatch on them.

His T34's wiped out one of my half strength infantry platoons, and then a 7 strength infantry platoon to boot. I destroyed his first strelk company down to the Company commander and Komissar, they high tailed it to the back of the map. Happy in the way they had bled the hun for their losses. Ultimately winning the game with their brave sacrifice giving up ground drenched in Soviet blood and German blood.

After his Turn 4 I had one chance and assaulted across the board. Figuring if I am not repulsed with defensive fire I have a chance. I assaulted his Battalion Co and Battalion Komissar with two pioneers and my Company Co and 2Ic. Hoping that by killing his leader I had a chance to swing the game. It was not to be as I was repuled by defensife fire and then swept away under the rumbling of T34's and the remaining strelk company as the human waved me. My right flank completely collapsed when my 105's caused a mere 2 T34 deaths in two rounds of firing. The three remaining T34's that defensive fired on my Grens, hit 9 of 12 times on my seven stands. I failed 4 of those 9 saves and then promtly failed a motivation test for being under half and fled the field. He fired a single God of War shot at my remaining mortars and took them below half and they promtly failed morale and fled the field as well.

A very bloody battle. Sean you played well and didn't complain when the dice turned against you and the tide of battle looked like you were going to lose. Then you kept up the battle with an epic fighting withdrawal with your initial strelk company bleeding them down to just their CO and Komissar. Well done. Your T34's are both beautifully painted and did a great job just as MG carriers. Plus you survived the 88 and then killed it from long range.

I look forward to getting to play you again. Hopefully next time I get to defend. Although I seem to be enjoying fighting Attacks with INfantry, a force not really suited for that roll very well in FoW terms. Thanks for playing and thanks for teaching me many lessons. Never ever forget where the Gods of War spotter is.

Thanks to everyone who showed up and played. Terry I am sorry your opponent stood you up. Maybe next time. Evan did Spencer really like that Wizard my daughter painted or what?

Hope to see some of you next week at Hobbytown. That is most likely the next time we will get together. If I am able to travel next week I will make it. Currently I am suffering greatly and may need extra recovery time. I have pushed it to far, yet again.

Chris
fe2mike
Bouncer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Game Day Recap

Did you guys get a chance to talk and decide what day is better for the tourney on the 26th?

DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Game Day Recap

Mike, Yes we talked to John and decided on the Sept. 16Th date. John is applying for regional qualification. Chris and I will work together on missions to be played and terrain. More info to follow. Thanks for your support.

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Game Day Recap

Terry,

I am also working on understanding the BF scoring system and how to apply it. We will need to post that up. I will get the info and post it here as well as at Gamersnorth so it can be read by everyone interested in playing.

Chris
DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Game Day Recap

Chris, Like I wrote, the overall General won really on everything else and won only 3 games. That gives the tourny some ability to judge other areas, not just by games won. The idea of a straight elimination Tourny doesn't work in the point system. Everyone must play the same amount of games. Then add scores and the other. Again it will come down to match ups. Just like it always does.

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Game Day Recap

You have experience with it I am just trying to read it and see how it applies. Always bow to practical working knowlege above theory. At least if you want the job done right.

chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: