107: Community Forums
108: Community Forums
109: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Miniature Gaming › Flames of War › After Action: Salerno
After Action: Salerno

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: After Action: Salerno

Thank You to everyone that made it today.

This is my poor attempt to cover the battle. I did not see much of Evan and Tabor's fight so I have little to report from that front. I saw a bit more of Bill and TC's throw down so wrote some about that. Ben and I had an interesting go. Had I not received the reinforcements and a lucky break. I think Ben's M7 priest's would have killed all of my men.

The Battle was a huge success. We had 6 players, a GM and several interested bystanders. The 6'x18' terrain board was beautiful, the painted miniatures were also well done.

The Allies: Ben, Bill and Tabor
The Axis: Evan, T.C. and Chris
GM: Terry Leaf

Battle for Hill 424, the Tobacco Factory and the Airfield.

The Right Flank:

The Airfield was defended by Evan with his pzgren Company. He was attacked by Tabor and his two Brit Companies, A tank Company and a small Recce Squadron. The Brits led by their Churchill's and Shermans decimated the Pz IV's and pzgrens defending the airfield and with the help of a well timed Naval Bombardment put end to the Stug's as they moved on the board to reinforce the crumbling defenses around the airfield. Despite timely reinforcements, the Brits rolled forward and crushed the defenders. Just as in history they did.

The Center:

The Tobacco Factory was guarded by a pak heavy pz gren company. With 2 veteran 88's (rof3) and 4 pak 38's. 3 pz gren platoons and a HMG platoon. The American armored force of 7 Shermans and 5 Stewarts raced forward at the hidden defenders at the break of dawn. As the moved forward they encountered some pz grens screening the front of the 88. The lone leading Stewart took a couple of quick shots at the 88, bouncing one off the front shield of the big gun. The Germans did not return fire. As dawn lifted and vision was restored to normal. The Shermans and Stewarts advanced to within a few hundred yards of the factory. After lots of shooting, no German infantry or guns were killed or pinned. The 88's and pak 38's unleashed a devastating barage of fire. Killing 4 Shermans out right and bailing 1. A Stewart ran into a minefield. Pak 38 fire killed three more outright. At the end of shooting a lone Stewart and a lone Sherman the 2iC were left. The wrecks of 10 allied tanks littered the approaches to the Factory. The remaining Sherman that was bailed failed a motivation, the CO joined the platoon and promptly failed the reroll and both vehicles fled the field. This left the Center allied tank force with a unit of M10's and platoon of MGMC AA guns. These units were terrified of revealing themselves to the German pak front.

The Left:

Hill 424, On the Left flank, the german 79th pzgren Regiment dug in dismounted troops in front of the hill with HMG's dug in above them on the slopes. The unit was not supported by AT guns, but had 4 81mm mortars helping out with some HT mounted 37mm AA behind the hill to cover the mortars.

Allies:

Armored Infantry Company. CO + Harmon; Armored infantry mounted in HT's with 37mm and max bazookas. Armored infantry dismounted with max bazookas, armored engineer dismounted with Sherman Dozer. 4 M3 Lee's shortbarreled, 4 M3 Lee's Long Barreled and 4 M7's.

The Allied Commander (Ben) brought a platoon of Lee's and a platoon of Armored infantry on a flanking maneuver towards the far left flank. A second platoon of Lee's approached the woods that were just to the side of the hill halfway to the tobacco factory. An armored Engineer Platoon with a Sherman Dozer in support moved towards the nearest minefield near the factory in support of the Stewarts. In the center a dismounted armored infantry platoon moved across open ground behind the Lees towards the junction between the woods and hill 424.

The Axis commander (Chris) ranged his mortars in on the infantry in the open and caused two casualties and pinned the unit. This unit remained pinned for five straight turns, taking mortar hits the entire time. It finally unpinned on turn 6 and moved forward. Only to get hit again by the mortars taking them below half and failing motivation and fleeing the field.

The Lees near the bottom of the hill on the far left flank encountered some well hidden and dug in pz grens. They proceeded to shoot them up (1 casualty) and then assault them for two more casualties. The pzgrens promptly failed the roll to counterassault and pulled back into the hills. In the next few rounds the Lee's once again shot up the platoon and then assaulted. Causing enough casualties to bring the platoon down to two stands. The pz grens failed their morale roll and fled the field. The Lee's and the now dismounted armored infantry moved forward towards the now visible HMG platoon.

The HMG's opened up with a roar. With 24 shots on the armored infantry platoon with 12 shots at less than 16" scoring 8 hits and another 12 shots at over 16" scoring 6 hits. The armored infantry platoon was decimated. Losing its platoon leader,both lmg's, mortar, and almost all of its infantry stands. Leaving it with bazookas and a 37mm AT gun. A couple of turns later the CO showed up and designated a new platoon leader and sent them forward again. The HMG's once again opened up and killed just enough of the platoon to force a motivation test. The test was failed, but a reroll was available as Harmon joined the platoon. The reroll failed and the HT's and last stand fled the field.

The Engineers crept up until they could see the pzgrens screening the front of the 88. They fired for no effect, trying to take the 88 out. The Dozer added its shots as well. The pzgrens returned fire for 18 shots killing over half of the platoon. The 88 opened up on the Dozer and twice failed FP tests. The Engineer platoon was below half and failed. Leaving the Armored infantry company without infantry to take the steep hill.

The M7 Priests came forward into the middle with all the Lee's and started to pepper the two remainging pzgren platoons and beat the HMG platoon down to a single stand and its platoon leader. Forcing them to run for cover behind the crest of the hill. They made a morale test so a lone HMG and platoon leader with the Company CO were all that were holding the crest of Hill 424.

Turn 5 5 pz IV H's showed up as reinforcements to the rattled and beleaguered pzgrenadiers holding the Hill. The 7 Lee's and 4 Priests looked like they were going to just sit and hammer the infantry until they were all dead. The pz 4's appeared between the base of the hill and woods just opposite of the M7's and some of the Lee's. With only a single shot per tank from moving, every shot went wide. Luckily the Stormtrooper roll was successful and the tanks quickly drove behind cover and out of sight.

The US arty 105's then ranged in on a pz 4 catching three pz's and two mortar crews under the template. Second roll to range in caused 5's to be needed for a hit. A single hit was scored on a pz 4 that was already bogged. The hit did not penetrate armor, a single hit was scored on the mortars but they made their save, leaving them pinned. The lee's and m7's hammered at the HMG and 2nd platoon of pzgrens. Destroying three stands from the pzgrens.

The next turn the panzers rolled forward. Also thru advanced planning(lucky reserve die roll) the Brummbar's finally reached the front and entered the battle directly behind the pz4's. This made quick work of the Lee's. Combined shots from the panzers and assault guns. Wiped out the first platoon of lee's and left two Lee's in the second platoon.

The Lee's and M7's combined to kill a pz4. but the Armored infantry company was broken. 4 of their 6 platoons were destroyed, it was a matter of time before the unit lost heart and fled. It was a brutal fight, had the reinforcements not arrived when they did and where they did. The hill would have eventually fallen to sheer weight of firepower from the US heavy guns.

Great game everyone. Hopefully we will do another one in two weeks.

Chris
DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

The scenario was modeled after September 13th, 1943. 5 days after the Salerno landings. The allies failing to advance and take the surrounding heights early in the landings, attempt to on day 5 and almost get thrown back into the sea. There attack triggers a waiting counter attack that pushes the US side of the front back with heavy losses. Only timely naval gun fire and beach reserves save the allies from disaster. The scenario played out very close to history. Air never was a factor. Also, historical on this day. I enjoyed setting up and running the scenario. We will see whats next.

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

Early War, please. Nothing like pop guns and tin cans to make infantry feel all warm and fuzzy. When an AT rifle scared tanks.

Chris
Snakesh!t
Seasoned Browser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

Normandy Campaign please.....
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

I bet we do Normandy later this spring or early Summer. After the battle book comes out on June 6th with all the official lists.

Chris
caisson-c473
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

Chris,
Knowing now that we have free range of movement and are not restricted to our phaseline / deployment zones, I am very interested in another battle. Do you have any ideas for what two weeks might bring? How about El Guettar with the 10th Pz vs. 1ID on the open desert floor?

Bill

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

I am not sure what Terry wants to do. He has talked about an EW German romp into Russia. An Encirclement mission. We will see. Since he sets these up, I will play whatever he wants to run.

Chris
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

Bill,

Perhaps we can do a Desert action this weekend. Terry will be in Oklahoma. So I will find out what my schedule is like from Kathy and see about setting up the battle.

Wait, don't you have weekend warrior duties this coming weekend?

Well, we can plan for a DAK battle in 3-4 weeks maybe. Sooner if we can both get a day off at the same time. There is nothing stopping us from heading down to Merlyn's and setting up a some tables.

I will do some research on El Guettar and see how to convert that to FoW. We can both get ideas for things that might have happened randomly. So there will be some unknowns. etc.

Chris
caisson-c473
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

Chris,
I am doing the Army thing this weekend, but if you want to try and do a day time battle for Tuesday, Thursday or the weekend 3-4 March, let me know. When I have some time I will do research on the battle and let you know what I find.

Bill

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

Sometime during the next week Tues-Thurs looks good. We will play it by ear. I will have to use your Afrika book to build my force so it matches closer to history.

We can play a mission type battle from the book or a more historical one like Hill 424. Either way it will be fun.

Chris
Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

ogre wrote:
Bill,

Perhaps we can do a Desert action this weekend. Terry will be in Oklahoma. So I will find out what my schedule is like from Kathy and see about setting up the battle.

Wait, don't you have weekend warrior duties this coming weekend?

Well, we can plan for a DAK battle in 3-4 weeks maybe. Sooner if we can both get a day off at the same time. There is nothing stopping us from heading down to Merlyn's and setting up a some tables.

I will do some research on El Guettar and see how to convert that to FoW. We can both get ideas for things that might have happened randomly. So there will be some unknowns. etc.

Chris

What is weekend warrior?

Register at this Miniature War Game forum for free!!!
minibattles.freeforums...portal.php
Snakesh!t
Seasoned Browser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

National Guard/Reserves....
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

Tabor,

Bill is an officer in the Army Reserve, he recently came back from Iraq and like most young men did the sensible thing and reupped.

Chris
Snakesh!t
Seasoned Browser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

I was helping Dungeon master....I will be an officer soon enough....
Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: After Action: Salerno

Snakesh!t wrote:
National Guard/Reserves....
Wow!

Thats really cool, I want to thank you for your duty. I will most likely also try to join up when I am 18.

Good Luck!

Register at this Miniature War Game forum for free!!!
minibattles.freeforums...portal.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: