No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Comic books › DC › Good work, DC
Good work, DC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MegaMatt
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Good work, DC

I've never been a huge DC fan. Until now, that is. One of the objectives with the New 52 initiative was to bring some non-fans to the universe. So yeah, that worked. I've been reading as much as I can get my hands on the past couple weeks...

10 Rad Things about the New 52
darwin
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Good work, DC

I must say I like the new titles I am reading, but I never completely liked when comics companies redid their entire universe with far-out, universe changing stories, as DC did three or four times, the last of which (Flashpoint) led to The New 52. Well, some such stories are interesting (I just wish they could keep it more consistent and of interest to most readers, so I did not read 'Flashpoint,' though I had read 'Flash: Rebirth')... but if one looks at, for example, some classic cartoons in newspapers, some stories started with the characters as kids, and now has them as old people. Another example is DC's relatively recent animated cartoon 'Batman Beyond.'

I started reading comics in the early 1980s, so the characters were basically the same as they were originally, besides for one change that happened in the Golden Age, I think--the idea of 'Earth-1,' 'Earth-2,' I think--but which still kept the characters basically the same. I would have liked to have seen Dick Grayson be Batman for a much longer time, and being advised by Bruce Wayne, and also perhaps Donna Troy being Wonder Woman for a long time, Speedy getting his own series for a long time (maybe he did,) Aqualad becoming Aquaman, etc. DC made Kid Flash into Flash for a significant amount of time, so they could have done so with the ones that took the roles of more popular, or almost as popular characters.

The main things I like about the new 52 are Wonder Woman eventually getting a more classic costume back, and Barbara Gordon coming back as Batgirl, though I can also understand the disappointment of disabled people not having Oracle as a superheroine who inspires them. I was most familiar with Batgirl from the '60s TV show, then I read some old issues with her, and eventually comics with Oracle... but I do not like what I have read about The Killing Joke--I agree with Gail Simone--and I like Barbara Gordon most as Batgirl. It was sort of absurd Batman could come back after Knightfall, but Batgirl could not after her injury, though it was worse... so it is also sort of absurd she could even come back, but I suppose her history was changed--maybe the injury was not as bad.

I did not really like that Tim Drake's history as Robin was erased, though it was nice they kept him as Red Robin. If they erased Jason Todd's history as Robin and now only made him perhaps an antihero who was probably a classic villain, I would not like that either. Drake was the Robin I grew up reading in comics as they were published (after reading reprints with Grayson,) and it would have been easy for DC to some basic history of these now classic Robins.

What I do like about the new 'Batman family' and other characters (though I am not reading much of it,) is they got a good artist to redo the costumes, and though IMO he overdid the 'technological' appearance of the costumes (they look like they would get very hot inside after a while,) I would say he got rid of the appearance of 'underwear' and made the costumes still look great and even basically normal and similar to the old costumes. DC had tried to do that sort of thing before but in the past, the costumes were sort of bizarre and what one might expect of far future people in the roles.

I also got into Vertigo lately and sort of like the new 'Constantine' series, which says 'The New 52' on it but was not actually one of the original 52, and I am looking forward to Neil Gaiman's new Sandman comic this year, whether it will be called one of The New 52.

If I had the time, I would be reading Justice League, Batman, Nightwing, Teen Titans, Red Hood And The Outlaws, Hawkman, Green Lantern, even Green Arrow, Flash, Legion of Superheroes, Superman titles... but I have not been so into superheroes since the early 1990s, except for reading old stuff... so if there are a few magic & mythology-based titles, I will read those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexDC All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: