Who Is Where:
Visitors:
News
News
News
News
News
News

Comic books › Independent › Pick of the Week: Black Magick Vol 1 › Community Forums › Merlyn's Comic Books and More

Pick of the Week: Black Magick Vol 1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KCrawford
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Pick of the Week: Black Magick Vol 1

My top rec this week was easy as it was one I've been waiting months for: The first collection of Black Magick! This series gripped me from the beginning and it's really not surprising. Greg Rucka, who has been nominated/won Eisner Awards throughout his career, and Nicola Scott (Wonder Woman, Secret Six) have teamed up to create a crime drama with a supernatural edge that manages to be seriously good instead of the cheesy fare often associated with that pairing. Rowan Black is a detective for the Portsmouth PD, but she's also a witch. When local murders start piling up, each with connections to Rowan's past, she must work to solve the crimes without revealing too much...

This is a very character-driven story with excellent writing. Rucka finishes each issue with excerpts from a medieval witch hunter that gives us insight into the events at play today. Scott's black and white illustrations are illuminated with flashes of color that add an ethereal and spooky feel to the story. Her art is gorgeous, boosting the story by adding so much real emotion to each character. I cannot recommend this series enough! Even better, if you need more of them, Rucka and Scott have teamed up to tackle the DC Rebirth series of Wonder Woman!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: