96: Community Forums
97: Community Forums
98: Home
99: Community Forums
100: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Role Playing Games › Other › New Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - Review and Comments
New Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - Review and Comments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
solonar
Seasoned Browser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: New Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - Review and Comments

I wanted to take a moment and write a little about the new WFRP game; to share a little about the game mechanics and how well Fantasy Flight Games has done with this classic title.

First, I would like to begin by saying that Fantasy Flight Games has really impressed me with the quality of games they have been putting out for the past 10 years or so. The games have all been fun and balanced, and the quality of the components has been top-notch. I don't think there has been a single game that I didn't find immediately appealing. This is why I was excited to learn that FFG was in charge of creating the newest version of WFRP.

Second, I have been a long-time player of WFRP. I've always loved the gritty realism of the setting, as well as the brutal and unforgiving nature of the game. Plus, the open-ended nature of the career paths was always fun. It allowed you to take your character in any direction you chose. You weren't limited to just one class - the characters in the group could branch out and gain the skills and abilities they needed for the campaign.

Upon first looking at the game and it's components, I was struck by a similarity to FFG's Runebound boardgame, and that actually gave me a little pause. My first reaction was that the WFRP game had been turned into a Descent-like game, but that turned out to not be true. The game uses a new (and very flexible) dice system that is similar to FFG's other games, but they have found a way to make it fit into the mechanics of the RPG. In my opinion, this is a much-needed change. The one big complaint about WFRP in the past was the percentile-based system. The new game uses a variety of color-coded d6, d8, and d10 dice with custom pips on each colored set.

The core mechanics and character creation are very similar and haven't changed much. You still start out with a base race (Human, Dwarf, Wood Elf, and High Elf) and then you start out with a career (picked randomly or chosen). You then have a point-based creation system that you spend on characteristics, skills, money, and abilities. Then, through adventuring, you earn experience and gain "advances" (just like the previous versions) in which you can gain skills or increase characteristics. When you have gained enough advances in your current profession, you can move on to another.

One of the great things FFG has also done with this game is to create cards for the professions and abilities. This allows the players to have all the info for their characters in front of them, rather than having to constantly look things up in the books. Wounds are also tracked with wound cards. Turning the wound card over to the text side represents a critical hit (each one having different effects). And it wouldn't be WFRP if you didn't have a magic miscast deck and an insanity deck.

Fantasy Flight Games has done an incredible job with the new version of this game. They have kept the spirit of the Warhammer world alive while introducing new and exciting game mechanics. For those people out there that have been fans of WFRP in the past, or for those of you looking to get into a good RPG, this is a game that I would highly recommend.

I am now dusting off all of my old WFRP adventures and am in the process of converting them to the new system. I'm not sure how enthusiastic my current game group will be to try a new game (they can be very stubborn to try new things), and if they are not very receptive, then I would love to start running a game down at Merlyn's (probably on the weekend).

If you have any questions about the game or are interested in getting together to play, just leave a comment here in the forums.

johnvdz
Awkward new guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - Review and Comments

hey man,

the system looks interesting. been a lot of controversy about the complete rules re hall but 'm keen to check this out.

I'm an old WFRP gamer and would be keen to try this new system. you still running games?

johnvdz
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexOther All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: