105: Community Forums
106: Home
107: My Account
108: Community Forums
109: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Role Playing Games › Dungeons & Dragons › Starting a 4th Edition RPGA Group - Need Players
Starting a 4th Edition RPGA Group - Need Players

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexDungeons & Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solonar
Seasoned Browser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Starting a 4th Edition RPGA Group - Need Players

I am gearing up to start a 4th edition D&D campaign again and I am looking for mature and reliable players to join. My previous 4th edition group had a lot of fun, but we stopped playing due to scheduling conflicts from several of us. This time, I am hoping to run this group as a private RPGA event, so there will be a total of 5 player slots available.

I would prefer to meet once a week, but depending on the players' availability, I might stretch that to every other week. I am initially thinking of playing on Sundays at Merlyn's, probably from noon to four or five. I don't have a definite start date for the campaign, but I would like to get going within the next couple of weeks. Please let me know if you're interested in playing in an ongoing campaign and what type of character you're interested in playing. This will help not only myself in preparing adventures, but it will also give other prospective players an idea of how the group will be structured.

I have been playing D&D since the late 70's and have been DMing for most of that time. I have a very loose and easy-going style of gaming that emphasizes fun and creativity over strict rules and dice rolling. My main goal is to immerse the players into a custom game world that reacts to the party's decisions rather than being static and scripted. I don't force players to play a certain way or go along a predetermined course, you will be free to choose your own paths within the game world. This will also allow a group to be composed of characters that the players want, rather than forcing some of them into choices they may not really like (such as someone being forced to be the cleric, lol).

First off, the game will be 4th edition D&D. Players will only need the Players Handbook in order to play, but other books and player guides will help. Your own dice, pencils, and paper are required (character sheets will be available if needed). I have a battle-mat and markers to draw out maps and some D&D miniatures. If you have a miniature for your own character that would help.

Second, my campaign world will be based in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, but will have some slight changes. I've found that this helps cut down on meta-gaming and promotes role-playing. Players should create their characters using the guidelines for the Living Forgotten Realms (you can download a copy of these rules on the D&D website, click on Events and then Event Downloads). If you have access to the D&D Character Builder, these rules are already included in the database. Otherwise, characters will be created during the first session, but not all books may be available.

I, like many experienced gamers out there, have had issues with certain gamers in the past, so I am going to describe here a little bit about the kind of players I am looking for and what I would like this gaming group to be like.

I am looking for reliable and mature gamers. I would like to have people who are serious about showing up for the game on a regular basis and that will call or email ahead of time if they are unable to make it. I put a lot of time and effort into planning many aspects of the campaign each week, so I don't think asking for reliable players is too much. Nothing seems to kill a group faster than people who don't show up on a regular basis - it just kills the momentum of the group. I have an SUV and I don't mind car-pooling and giving rides to those who need one, providing you don't live too far out of the way (or at least are willing to spring for gas money).

I also don't want any rules-lawyers or power-gamers (at least the extreme ones). I like people who take the time to read the rules, but who are also flexible enough to adapt to a new world. I don't mind (and even prefer) being called on a rules issue, but at times during play, certain events in the campaign may alter some rules without the characters' knowledge, so if I make a final ruling that is contrary to what the rules state, I would like to see that decision role-played rather than argued (I don't change things without reason, so there will always be an in-game explanation). On this issue, I guess the best way to describe it is: I'm looking for role-players, not dice-roll-players.

On the topic of mature players, a few things should be mentioned. Age is unimportant, but behavior is. I would prefer a player who is nice to others and enthusiastic about playing over a someone who is constantly surly and argues over the rules every week. Also, when we sit down to game, let's be there to game. After all, if all the players showed up to play and I spent the first hour on the phone, people would understandably be upset with me, and I would ask that same consideration from others. Respect towards other players' property is also a big issue with me. I keep all of my belongings in near-mint condition and I want to keep them that way. A little bit of patience and respect goes a long way.

Hygiene is a big issue with me and I will not budge on this issue. If you don't take care of yourself, don't show up. You can be a messy slob for all I care, but if you smell, we're going to have an issue. 'Nuff said.

Since I am interested in making this group RPGA legal, anyone interested in joining should have an RPGA/DCI number and be able to provide that number for record keeping purposes each session. If you don't have a number, I believe you can obtain one through Merlyn's (just call the store and ask).

Please let me know if you are looking to join a group and if you have any questions for me. I will update this post with more campaign-specific information as it becomes available.

Bomberooski
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a 4th Edition RPGA Group - Need Players

any shot to revive this?
tragalia
Awkward new guy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a 4th Edition RPGA Group - Need Players

I just got back into town a little while ago and I'd love to get into something like this too.

Charles Stacy II'
(509)936-1956
charlesstacyii @ gmail.com
Bomberooski
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a 4th Edition RPGA Group - Need Players

I'm still interested.
zachman52
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a 4th Edition RPGA Group - Need Players

I'd love to play too.
zachman52
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a 4th Edition RPGA Group - Need Players

If anyone is serious about a 4th edition game, if so then we should start thinking about a good game day.

I can be most reliable on week days. On weekends I can only make it about every other week. Although, every other week may not be a bad idea.

Just post something to tell me your thoughts.
Thingol
Awkward new guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a 4th Edition RPGA Group - Need Players

I'd be up for starting a game. I am open weekdays past about 2 (past 1 on Wednesday) due to school. I'm in a Dresden Files group on Saturday, but Sunday should be open for me. I have no books though, and inexperienced at tabletop. Quick learner though.
zachman52
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a 4th Edition RPGA Group - Need Players

Sounds good. I can get another book on the first of November. I have the starter set and would be willing to lend it out to anyone who needs it. I am a teenager in case you are against that, although I am very mature. Almost every weekday I'm free (just saying that again). I have school until 3:30 and could make it there around 4:00.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexDungeons & Dragons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: