104: Community Forums
105: Stories Archive
106: Community Forums
107: Stories Archive
108: Stories Archive

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Comic books › DC › Why does Superman hate America? Action Comics #900
Why does Superman hate America? Action Comics #900

View previous topic :: View next topic  
td9993
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Why does Superman hate America? Action Comics #900

The following contains spoilers for Superman #900, so if haven't read it yet and plan to, DO NOT read any further.

So the basic plot of #900 is this.
Superman flies to Camp David to talk to the National Security Adviser.
Supes also notices a two man sniper team with kryptonite bullets on the outer ridges.
The NSA agent is extremely mad, asking him "Why did you do it?".
Supers explains that he went into Tehran to protect some protesters from Ahmadinejad's forces. They had put their lives on the line for freedom and he wanted to let them know they weren't alone. He further explains that he can stop alien hordes but has problems when governments stop treating people with basic human rights.
So he shows up in the middle of the protest and stands there.
Just stands.
For 24 hours, never moving.
The crowds grew. After 24 hours, he left, hoping it would have done some good.
It didn't.
Now the Iranian government is accusing Superman of acting on the Presidents behalf and as an Act of War.
So Supes tells him that he will go to the UN and renounce his citizenship with America.
He says, "Truth, Justice and the American Way.....just aren't enough anymore. The World's too small. Too connected. I'm an alien. Born on another planet. I can't help but see the bigger picture. I've been thinking too small. I realize that now.".

So, of course, the only time a news organization ever picks up a comic book is when they can bend it to their own agenda and not surprising, it's FOX news and it's followers that leads the charge.
*Don't buy the stupid magazine. How about coming up with a new American Patriot Superman?
*Superman Fighting for Truth, Un-American Way
*Besides being riddled with a blatant lack of patriotism, and respect for our country, Superman's current creators are belittling the United States as a whole. By denouncing his citizenship, Superman becomes an eerie metaphor for the current economic and power status the country holds worldwide,

Now we have to remember that "American Way", like "God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, was added LATER.
Originally, back before WWII, the Fleischer cartoons informed us that Superman "fought a never-ending battle for truth and justice.".
The "American Way" bit was first added in the radio-show intro in 1942, then dropped in 1944. In the first Superman movie serial, the line comes out as Pa Kent telling Clark that he must use his powers "in the interests of truth, tolerance and justice."
The 1950s TV show, during the Cold War, brought back "...the American Way." The 1966 cartoon used "truth, justice and freedom."
(Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek, Superman writer and Comic Book Historian)
So basically, it's not that Superman stood for the "American Way" all the time, just when people needed it mentioned.

I have to admit I have some....agitation against people who haven't picked up a comic book in ages to even HAVE an opinion on this. It would be like me saying how the Yankees suck. (I haven't watched a full baseball game since I went to see the Spokane Indians play back in the 1990's.) In other words, I don't go your favorite spots and tell you how it should be done.
These people have this...idea in their head that something they haven't looked at had been frozen in time, never changed. It's like knowing basic math and someone telling you about "new math".
Wait, what?

As I see it, we as humans need to change. It's called evolution and this is simply Supermans "evolution".
Look, we had a good run. We had him for over 70 years, fighting for our side. Times change and so should we.
Now he fights for all of us. Why should we not share. If you have a steak and your neighbor is hungry, isn't the better choice to share?

If he wasn't born here, he belongs to all of us.
And ya, you can make the "Jesus analogy" right here "___________"

Now we're all (most of us) normal thinking human beings and realize this is a printed character. He's not real. Believe it or not, most geeks, nerds, whatever, we get that and arguing over it is pretty stupid most of the time. But this isn't some Mountain Dew enraged "Enterprise can beat a Star Destroyer" scream-fest you'd find at your local hobby shop.
(shop Merlyn's where everything is 10% off, all the time. Copyright 2011).

This is about a symbol.
As the Ghostbusters said,
RAY: Something that appeals to the best in each and every one of us --
SPENGLER:Something good --
VENKMAN: And pure --
WINSTON: And decent.

Superman has been as much of symbol for America as the Statue of Liberty and for a long time, that was something we needed, but those times have changed. We can't save the World by only saving ourselves.
We can only do it by seeing the bigger picture and that's what Superman has done.
"Truth, Justice and the American Way.....just aren't enough anymore. The World's too small. Too connected. I can't help but see the bigger picture. I've been thinking too small. I realize that now.".

Just wait until Captain America premieres and we can discuss why republicans/democrats hate him/love him.
We can also take the time to discuss how Wonder Woman's costume doesn't look like a flag anymore because it's disgracing the flag by using it as clothing except when your an Amazon with a great body, but let's face it.
Those short-shorts weren't exactly screaming "respect me as a warrior princess", so I'm glad they're gone. And yes, I realize many, many, MANY of you will have a problem with that statement.

And the first person to say "I want to see Clark Kents Birth Certificate", get a poke in the Adams Apple.

Watch The HANGAR BAY SHOW - It's not the nerd-cast you deserve, it's the one you need!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexDC All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: