55: My Account
56: Community Forums
57: Stories Archive
58: News
59: Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Miniature Gaming › Flames of War › FoW scoring system for Regional Qualifier
FoW scoring system for Regional Qualifier

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: FoW scoring system for Regional Qualifier

Alright folks here is a breakdown of how BF wants a regional scored. We can adjust it for our own area but this is how it will be done at the Nationals:

1. Historical Army 15 points possible
2. Generalship 30 points possible
3. Sportsmanship 15 points possible

HISTORICAL BREAKDOWN

Background 5 points
Painting 5 points
Uniformity 5 points

Background breakdown:

Little of no background 1 point
At least a paragraph 2 points
Good Background Info with photograph's 3 points
Interesting Background that adds life to the force 4 points
Outstanding information that fits the force perfectly 5 points

PAINTING BREAKDOWN

1- Unpainted army
2 - Poorly painted and many unfinished
3- Good basic painting, faces, hands, boots and guns
4- Well painted force, with extra details, correct colors and good basing
5- Every model is a masterpiece

UNIFORMITY BREAKDOWN

1- Units are a hodgepodge of different styles or some are unpainted
2- several different styles in the army (or different eras)
3- Most of the models are similar in style in painting and basing
4- Similar style across whole army
5- Whole army fits well together and looks like a single fighting force

Generalship Breakdown

Your game scores made so it equals 30 points using a mathematical equation if necessary. We may alter this if we do not have enough rounds or participants so it makes sense and everyone can understand it.

Byes, anyone with a bye gets an automatic 6-1 win.

Sporting Play Breakdown -

BF's style is an all of nothing. Each player may only give a single positive score to one person they played against. All others get 0 points. So even if you were nice you get the same score as an asshole.

I think we will change this to a 1-4-5 system. 1 means the person you played was a jerk and you needed to call me over to settle a dispute. 4 means the person you played with was alright and a 5 can only be given to a person who was the nicest guy you ever played against. A 1 or 5 score must be verified to a judge and given good reason to allow it. This stops people from tanking scores on others and keeps this a fun event.

So half the points come from your win/loss record 1/4 from Historical/Painting/Uniformity and 1/4 comes from Sportsmanship.

Any comments on my idea for sportsmanship scoring. BF will allow us to adjust these to fit our needs and the current BF scoring system just doesn't look right. A jerk gets the same score as 99% of the rest of the players. Since only a single player gets a positive score for sportsmanship with the BF system.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Chris

PS.

John this is your tournament, so you have final say as to how it is run. I agree to volunteer and help. But I am doing so in the understanding that this is a Merlyn's event first and I and any others that agree to help me will do this in the best possible way for Merlyn's. Thanks for letting us have this event at your store.
DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: FoW scoring system for Regional Qualifier

Yes, Same scoring system as before. Over all general at Origins actually won only 3 games. His Painting was excellent and his historical write up was great. He won on the other points.

Bootneck
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: FoW scoring system for Regional Qualifier

Hi Chris ,

I know I am not likely to attend Laughing but I have read through and think the Idea of the "soft" scores making up half the available points is a good one as I have had experience of people "buying" their painting scores and maximising their generalship by taking Uber armies and then ignoring sports to crash through their opponents and win on generalship ,

spreading out the sports score makes people think about how they play , they are then aware of how their behaviour affects their score. All or nothing is , I agree , not the way to go - we have used a Four question system for the last couple of years in tournaments that I will share with you as a suggestion :-

1. Did you feel that your opponent fielded a fair and historical balanced force or one designed to take advantage of the rules?
a)Very fair and Balanced force giving a flavour of the force at that time - 2pts
b)A fair force - 1pt
c)Units seemed to be a mix of troops picked for their gaming potential rather than any specific historical reasons - 0pts

2. Did your opponent play the game at a pace that was suitable for both of you?
a)I was happy with how the game ran , this is the pace I like to play at - 2pts
b)the game ran at a good speed -1pt
c)I feel my opponent was trying to run out time for a draw , or alternatively they rushed things and I was not sure of what was happening - 0pts

3.Did you enjoy the game ?
a) Yes , it was one of those games I'll remember for a long time - 2pts
b)Yes - 1pt
c)No - 0pts

4.Would you play this opponent again ?
a)Yes - 2pts
b)No - 1 pt
c)After that I don't think i ever even want to enter a tournament again - 0pts

This generates 0 -8 points per game (We play to a 32 point system for some reason Rolling Eyes ) and would have to be adapted in some way but allows for more fine tuning of sports scores and makes you think about both your army and how to play. Again if anyone scores a 0 in a category it does allow an Umpire to spot it - and in my experience people do think about their answers and we don't get a lot of max sports scores (apart from me - its usually the only thing that stops me coming last Laughing )

Or you could have 5 questions of a yes/no format that generate your sports scores for each game - that is what we are looking at for the 07 tournament season for the Wargames players society (a UK national group that runs a large , for the UK Very Happy , tournament circuit and has been doing for the last 10 years)

They have a website , www.players-society.com , that has tournament rules on there (please dont look at the commitee pages ! Embarassed ) and they do have a FoW section.

Hope some of this rambling is of help Rolling Eyes & Good luck with the tournament - I am running one myself on the 27th August and know how much hassle they can be............................................

Bob

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: FoW scoring system for Regional Qualifier

Thanks for the info.

I like the idea and we may have to test it out if we are going to help run or run more events in the future.

Chris
zguillotine
Awkward new guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: FoW scoring system for Regional Qualifier

I have a couple things to say about the sportsmanship portion of the scoring. I recently (this year) had a very bad experience that I would like to avoid having repeated.

My army was and is based on the British 8th Army. I have a lot of background information that I will be putting together for my force. It is all historical. The period I am shooting for is the Tunisia campaign in North Africa.

My force consisted of two units of Sherman IIIs, with the CO/XO in Sherman IIIs as well. Most of the Grants were gone or could not keep up with the Shermans. I had a unit of Crusaders and a unit of Armored Cars as well as a unit of Universal Carriers (scouts). This gave me five units and I needed to lose three to have to start taking moral checks.

In one of my games, my opponent was playing primarily Italian infantry with two units of AT guns. One was a unit of medium AT guns and the other was a unit of heavy AT guns. During setup, I suggested to my opponent that he may want to reposition his heavies as I was going to be able to avoid allowing them to fire at me due to limited field of fire. This suggestion was ignored and I proceeded to wipe out his forces.

Now, it is important to understand that HMGs could wipe out my UC, AC and Crusaders (side shots) with minimal effort. Additionally, he had hidden flamethrowers which did not do as well as they could have. The upshot was that I lost the tournament because this person scored me near the bottom on sportsmanship. I would have accepted this, had I been a jerk while playing the game, but I was not. I merely used my tactical advantage where he was not expecting and won.

I would like to avoid this kind of bad sport scoring by the players. To that end, I would say that I could accept the 1-4-5 system. I am making the assumption that each person votes for each game they play and that the referee will be validating 1s and 5s. I can live with this but not the four question system as it is too subjective and capable of being abused.

My two cents.
-=ZG=-
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: FoW scoring system for Regional Qualifier

zguillotine

please see my other post on scoring. I prefer the 1-3-5 system over the BF system. With a judge or judges having to be involved with any 1 or 5 score. We hope this will allow all the players to have fun and also to not stack the sportsmanship scores.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: