115: Stories Archive
116: Stories Archive
117: Community Forums
118: Community Forums
119: Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Miniature Gaming › Painting, Conversions and Tips › Various painting projects
Various painting projects

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexPainting, Conversions and Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javelin98
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Various painting projects

Just to share, here's a few different painting projects that have the rarity value of having actually been completed.

Here is an Old Crow Models Trojan APC, with some greeblies added from the IG tank accessory sprue. The antenna is piano wire -- strong but flexible. I had hoped to paint it up in a Berlin Brigade camo pattern, but it didn't quite make it. Still a nice model, though.

This is a DLD Productions Komodo APC. DLD is no longer doing business on the web, unfortunately.

Here is a diecast VW bug that I kitbashed for some games of Combat Zone, a post-apocalyptic skirmish game.

On to some starships. I use these with Majestic 12 Games' Starmada rules. Here we have a scratchbuilt space station:

And here are some scratchbuilt orbital weapons platforms.

Here are some very poor photos of my scratchbuilt Ringworld/Halo:

To make for some commerce-raiding scenarios, here are some scratchbuilt freighters. These two are bulk gas haulers:

And this one is an asteroid/ore hauler. It is essentially welded to an asteroid in order to bring it back to a fusion-powered orbital centrifuge.

That's enough for now. I'll take more pics later and post them up.

Last edited by javelin98 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Spector
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

Awesome looking stuff man. Keep posting, I would like to see more for sure.

caisson-c473
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

Do you paint FOW models (1/100 or 15mm) and if so, what are your rates?

javelin98
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

caisson-c473 wrote:
Do you paint FOW models (1/100 or 15mm) and if so, what are your rates?

No, sorry! I only do sci-fi stuff. I'm not the droid you're looking for!

Speaking of which, here is a dropship that I kitbashed from a Star Wars Trade Fed tank and an A-10 model. It works equally well as an infantry dropship in 28mm or a vehicle lander in 15mm. The figs in the pic are a GW Cadian for the 28mm, and a GZG New Israeli trooper and DLD Komodo APC for the 15mm.

javelin98
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

I also play 6mm sci-fi, including Dirtside, Iron Cow, and Epic 40k. Here's a nuclear plant I built for 6mm gaming:

Spector
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

Love the dropper, the paint effects are neat too. Have you ever played Battletech at all?

javelin98
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

Oh, yeah! I bought the original set when it first came to town, circa 1987. Great game!

Spector
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

Awesome. My wife and I run games from time to time and I do some painting. Keep an eye on the BT/MW boards for the next game.

Keep up the good work!

javelin98
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

The electrical aisle at Lowes or Home Depot can be a treasure trove of terrain fodder. This is a 4-gong plastic junction box, with greeblies glued all over it and painted to a crappy standard. I was still trying to learn how to make rust streaks at the time. Best part about these is that they run from 25 cents to $6, so you could cover a whole board for not very much out of pocket.

These things work equally well for 15mm and 28mm, so I've posed one of each kind of fig next to it for comparison sake. Sadly, the cardstock base has warped, so I'll have to replace it at some point.

loialarent
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

Ooh, this ones nice. I like the kinda "dusty" colors. ^^ Theyre all really nice.

javelin98
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

Thanks! I was experimenting with a number of different techniques on that power plant. Here's another item: a dice tower made using Imex/Tehnolog Hexagon kit pieces. The black wash definitely turned out better on this one:

Spector
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

Neat Idea with the electrical boxes. And the rust is a good start, maybe a deep reddish\brown wash dribbles over the spots to give a bit of depth?

Cilidar
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

Hey, Javelin, do you ever visit Theminiaturespage.com (TMP)? A lot of the stuff you do would really be appreciated by the people over there. You'll also find a lot of ideas there that are right up your alley.

Also, I've been meaning to get into Combat Zone, how much do you like it?
Any interest in Full Thrust? Those ships you have painted up would be perfect for it! Great job on those, BTW. The more I look at them the more I want to order a Fleet Pack of ScanFed and Sa'Vasku ships from Ground Zero Games!
javelin98
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

Cilidar wrote:
Hey, Javelin, do you ever visit Theminiaturespage.com (TMP)? A lot of the stuff you do would really be appreciated by the people over there. You'll also find a lot of ideas there that are right up your alley.

Also, I've been meaning to get into Combat Zone, how much do you like it?
Any interest in Full Thrust? Those ships you have painted up would be perfect for it! Great job on those, BTW. The more I look at them the more I want to order a Fleet Pack of ScanFed and Sa'Vasku ships from Ground Zero Games!

Heck, yeah! Believe it or not, I'm known over there as -- brace yourself -- "javelin98". I've been on TMP since 2003 or so. Great place!

I like Combat Zone quite a lot. It's easy enough to learn in an afternoon and there's lots of online support for it in the form of the Combat Zone Chronicles. Sadly, I've been getting out of 28mm because of space in my hobby room. I'm mostly going to 15mm for my skirmish games (using Stargrunt from GZG), 6mm for big battles, and starship games. The only 28mm I'm planning on holding onto is my Space Hulk stuff.

If you want to borrow the CZ core rule book, let me know and I can lend it to you. I might be putting it up for sale on TMP soon anyway.

I actually have the full set of Full Thrust books on my shelf (FT, More Thrust, and Fleet Book 1 & 2), but I've never played it. I hear it's a great game, and I'm planning on trying it eventually. Currently I get my starship fix from Starmada, which is a great set of rules. I currently have three fleets on hand, having just sold a UNSC fleet: an old-style Neu Swabian fleet, a fleet of ONESS Germans from Brigade Models, and a fleet of Talliscan ships from Kallistra UK. I'll post some pics of those here eventually.

Thanks,
jav98

Cilidar
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Various painting projects

I actually ordered my first Starships from Em4. I bought three boxes of their starship minis. Their actually meant for fighter scale games like Silent Death but I chopped off the more fighter looking bits and managed to make three large fleets! All for around $12 or so!

The blue fleet:

The Bronze fleet:

The Crimson Fleet (Which needs a BIG overhaul. I was going for a sleek alien pirate look and was trying out some new techniques. The pictures speak for themselves.):

I also recommend Em4 for any sort of base. You can literal get bags of flight stands, 25mm round bases, square bases, hex bases, etc. All for a couple of US dollars.

If you want to meet up sometime and talk hobby, I'm very fluent in geek ;). I could teach you Full Thrust and in exchange you introduce me to Starmada? I've heard it's a great game.

For larger scale battles (as well as For Mekton) I was planning on converting my Mechwarrior Clix because their so dirt cheap right now and I'm always looking for the cheapest way to get gaming stuff!

I'd love to check out the rulebook but I live way north of Spokane and don't make it into town that often. I live near the little town of Valley, not The Valley, but iddy-bitty blink-and-you-miss-it Valley that's near Chewelah. I was planning on just buying the starter set on their website. You pretty much just buy the minis and the counters and rules come with. Plenty of Gangers and Troopers.

On a side note, I'm into all sorts of other little games. One I've been prepping for is Giant Monster Rampage. I'm sculpting a few of my own beasties and building papercraft skyscrapers for little Godzilla-esque fights!

Here are two of my little sculpts:
The first one here is done, he just needs a paint job:

Next is a robotic brain thing that's a WIP. I've added more tentacles since this photo:

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexPainting, Conversions and Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: