150: Community Forums
151: Stories Archive
152: Community Forums
153: Community Forums
154: Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Comic books › Independent › Dynamite Entertainment comics, such as of classic characters
Dynamite Entertainment comics, such as of classic characters

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexIndependent
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darwin
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Dynamite Entertainment comics, such as of classic characters

I have been reading Dynamite Entertainment (DE) comics several years, which publishes new stories of many classic radio and comics characters from 'pre-superhero' times to relatively recent decades, including film/TV series. I would say DE either has become the fourth big comics publisher after Dark Horse, or may have already surpassed Dark Horse at some times or in general now. DE's more classic series often have covers by the great realist Alex Ross, and other good realists (as well as variants), and I like most the stories.

I think first I read the first arc of DE's original 'Red Sonja', which was good, then I read 'Athena' (about the Greek goddess, and I like the character and covers, but not so much the story), most of 'The Green Hornet' (which I am continuing), all of 'The Shadow', which AFAIK are two early 1900s 'pre-superhero' pulp fiction and/or radio characters that eventually were in comics, and I got some of the first and apparently last issues (due to moving) of 'Lord of The Jungle' (based on Tarzan), and just started 'King's Watch', with the early - mid-20th century characters which include The Phantom (the first costumed superhero, which I also read some of 'The Last Phantom' after it started, and will finish it--even if redone as more present-day--for the great covers), and the classic space hero Flash Gordon, and one of the oldest modern wizard characters, Mandrake The Magician. The latter three are owned by King Features, and two were made by one artist (IIRC, both artists were considered at least somewhat great), and the three were in the 1980s animated cartoon 'Defenders of The Earth' (DoTE) and a Marvel/Star Comics series of the same name. As a kid, I listened to 'The Shadow', 'The Green Hornet' radio shows recorded on tape, and only read a few Flash Gordon comics, and a DoTE book, and a few strips of these characters, and it would be nice to see a series with the DoTE characters; 'King's Watch' #1 seemed fun so far.

Other DE characters include The Lone Ranger, Zorro, Warlord of Mars (i.e. from the book 'A Princess of Mars'), Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers (I read some of the latter two, but they were redone as more present-day, so I did not continue; I prefer the original continuity), probably Xena, probably the new Battlestar Galactica (BG, though I would prefer the original, but am more into Star Trek, Star Wars, Asimov, Clarke, Heinlen, etc... though original BG theme music is some of my favourite of all), and some classic superheroes that the copyright expired on, etc... I think you can see DE's complete list of published and current titles at dynamite.com.

As you may see, they are doing a lot of stuff like Dark Horse used to do a fair bit--publishing popular characters who were in film/TV or classic & popular stories in media and historical comics outside of Time-Warner/DC & Disney/Marvel... so I recommend checking out DE's site, and forthcoming release list there or in 'Previews' and seeing if anything seems interesting, and I would be interested to hear what others think.

I liked that both main Green Hornet series (as well as 'The Shadow') started with Alex Ross covers for many issues, and though the first one became the son of the original Green Hornet taking the role, it was a fun series (now coming to an end), and DE's second main series on The Green Hornet is of the original Hornet. DE also published some reprints of the Golden Age Green Hornet comics, as well as one or more reprints of classic/Golden Age Shadow comics (and probably Marvel's 'Red Sonja', etc.). The upcoming series 'The Shadow Now' is illustrated by local artist Colton Worley.

I liked that 'Lord of The Jungle' started with extremely realistic covers (I forgot if it was Alex Ross or someone whose art looks more like oils than watercolour/gouache) and was apparently (I am not sure) a way to read Edgar Rice Burroughs' original story/stories without having to read the novels, if one had not done so or does not read many stories besides comics.

I had been reading DE comics for more years than I realized; it did not really hit me (enough to remember their name long after starting reading, or to check out their website) until I seriously became a fan of Alex Ross about when DE's first Green Hornet series started. I suspect DE will be around a long time. I liked another new independent comics company in the early 2000s, Crossgen, but they disappeared before I even started reading them... in the case of DE, I guess I just started reading the new 'Red Sonja' but did not really pay attention to the company or even all the Alex Ross covers until I became a bigger fan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexIndependent All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: