71: Community Forums
72: Home
73: Stories Archive
74: My Account
75: Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Miniature Gaming › Flames of War › Flames of war or American Civil War
Flames of war or American Civil War

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Flames of war or American Civil War

You know after you have played something for so long you need a break. well an old friend came over that I used to game with years ago and we drug out some old 15mm ACW Troops and had a great battle. Did part of the First Bull Run and those georgia boys arrived in the nick of time to save the day for the confederates. Really fun to do something different. It got me painting 15mm civil war again and we have had several battles. Just a spring break before a return to FOW. Good Gaming

Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

Sounds like fun! were those old minies or did you purchase them lately?

Register at this Miniature War Game forum for free!!!
minibattles.freeforums...portal.php
DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

These minis are still available from minifigurines.com. They are in colorado and are good looking troops. Next time we game I will bring some in so you can see them.

Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

Terry i am saving up for a panzergrenider company and i am getting there (i have 50 bucks) cant wait to game again!

Now back on topic i have little plastic army men (civil war era) 40 of them are blue for the union and the others are grey for the confederates. I came up with my own rulebook for them and me and my brother played but i tell you it wasent as much fun because 40 on 40 is not that much Wink

DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

Thats the way I started years ago, with airfix plastic civil war and home made rules. Its cheap and easy. I can show you with just a few more figures , you can have a brigade size battle really easy. add some artillery and cavalry and you have a really fun time for little money. 50.00 is a great start. I think a german grenadier platoon in the packs is 17 or 18 dollars. You can either wait for enough money for the large box or start getting packs now. Your choice. Terrry

DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

Thats the way I started years ago, with airfix plastic civil war and home made rules. Its cheap and easy. I can show you with just a few more figures , you can have a brigade size battle really easy. add some artillery and cavalry and you have a really fun time for little money. 50.00 is a great start. I think a german grenadier platoon in the packs is 17 or 18 dollars. You can either wait for enough money for the large box or start getting packs now. Your choice. Terrry

Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

DeathorGlory wrote:

Me and my dad are going to hobby town today since my dad has to go up north and i might by a platoon and some paint.

DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

sounds good, let me know what you get. get a spray can of flat black to undercoat the figures. Paint covers alot better if undercoated and can add shadeing.

Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

I bought a Panzergrenadier platoon and paint. I did not have enough cash to buy the black for the undercoat..... so i did not do one but i am spending a lot of time to make sure no silver shows and add as much detail as i possibally can i have got them good enough to play but i want them to look nicer and i still need to put them on the bases.

DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

Sounds good, Without an undercoat you need to make sure you use a mattvarnish spray on them. Otherwise your hard work will rub off on your fingers as you use them. Did you look at the Ebay-Toys-FOW-3,500 pt grenadier army for sale? It finishes in 12 hours and is at 189.00 right now. A good buy if it stays low. Sometimes you get surprised and you do get good deals. I bid on 4 things last night and this morning and lost all four bids in the last seconds. But its kind of fun. Who has the quickest fingers in the last seconds. One of the Doctors I work with just told me there is a new program that you can put in your computer to beat the high bid in the last second. Maybe thats what I have been up against

Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

Terry i purchased another platoon it is an assualt platoon for grenidiers. My brother also bought a strelkove (i dont know how to spell it) and he is got one of the infantry platoons done.

DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

That sounds great. Now you willhave some of your own stuff. As you can see by the rules, assault platoons need to get close. They are great in 251 halftracks. You move the tracks up to within 2 inches, dismount ,Tracks fire on target and you assault. You are on your way. We can do german and russian next and your brother could use his stuff and I can fill in for both sides. Keep painting!! Terry

Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

Hell ya we keep on painting. We cant wait to get a game in. i am saving up for me to buy another grenider platoon then buy some halftracks like you said. painting is half of the fun!

Dungeon_Master123
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

I got my greniader platoon based but i have yet to put the earth and paint it and then put more grass and that stuff. I am going to do that when they are totally complete. On easter my dad bought me flames of war german dice and a little carrying case from hobby town (i think its ment for paint but it still works). But when i was reading on the flames of war website one person said to use plaster and then add all of the other stuff? What do you do?

DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Flames of war or American Civil War

Yes, Do base work last. Finish up your detail on your troops , then this is what I and alot of guys do. Use the painted base as your glue. Startwith a dark color. For africa, some of us use burnt awber acrylic paint from a craft store like Michaels. A dollar a bottle. Will last a long time. Put a healthy amount on a base and before it dries you dip the base into a container full of your flocking mix or sand mix. Woodland scenics has many different shades terrain, grasses, gravel, sand etc. White elephant is the cheapest for this. To do rocks add more paint to an area and add a rock pile or scattered rocks. When you are happy with your layered terrain let it dry completely. Over night. Next day spray with flat or matt varathane. Let it dry and your figs are ready to go and terrain and paint will stay on the bases and figs. Its pretty simple and fast and you can get many effects. Snow effect also works well. PLASTER works well once you get used to it but I have seen to many that really don't look good. They put on plater and dry brush it and like the effect, I don't. But thats just my likes, every ones eye for art is different. Good luck, I am back next week so see you then. I have worked up a British First Army Group that is pretty interesting. We will see if they are any good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: