72: Community Forums
73: Home
74: Home
75: Community Forums
76: Stories Archive

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Miniature Gaming › Flames of War › FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th
FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fe2mike
Bouncer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

This is the Official thread, so please post all relevant items here.

So, it sounds like we got the go to have thisbe a National Qualifier if we can get 18 players, HERE IS THE LINK

Looks like 1500 pts, 3rounds?, starting @ ???

Also, Terry and/or Chris, can one of you post the tourney rules here as well.

solonar
Seasoned Browser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

Hi, just a suggestion here. It would be great to be able to participate in this event, but I work evenings on the weekends, which usually makes it so that I can't play in most events. I saw on another website a FOW tournament schedule that had the 3-round schedule and it started at 10:30 with each round lasting 2 1/2 hours, with a break for lunch from 1:00 to 1:30. This would mean that the last round would be over at 6:30 with the awards being given from 6:30 to 7:00 (just in time for me to head to work). Would this schedule be suitable for all those interested? What do you think?

DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

Mike, Yes the 3 rounds will start early. I expect everyone to present there army lists for inspection at 10:00 and gaming to start at 11:00. Match ups will be random and we will try to match axis to allies as much as possible. 3 different missions will be played. Your army list will be on the table and your opponent will have his on the table. You can look at each others list. Each round will have a 2 hour limit. I look for a break at 1:00. Next game at 1:30, break at 3:30 and last game at 4 ending at 6. At that time we will declare over all general and runner-up. Those being qualified for nationals. They can assign the spot to another person if they want too. Points will be given on generalship. Whether painting and sportmanship will be an issue is to be decided. Missions to be played will be posted shortly. More details to follow. We will try to set up all the tables the night before, so if anyone wants to look at the tables they can.

zguillotine
Awkward new guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

I would really like to see a complete set of the rules posted here someplace. And I would like to see them really, really soon. I would expect that the rules would include things like painting status, judging method with complete standards, army composition limitations and anything else that you can think of. There should be nothing that is not in the ruleset that would be left to be discovered on tournament day.

I would also like to hear how this tournament is being judged and by whom. I have gotten screwed in a tournament before because my legal army won all its games.

Wayne
-=ZG=-
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

Wayne,

I am sorry it hasn't been posted yet. I will do my best to get the complete rules on the site very soon. I tweaked my back so havn't been doing much the last few days.

In a nutshell the scoring will be based on the standard BF system. 3 rounds with your scores from each game being added together and then multiplied by 3.5 giving a range of 0-70 based on scores of 7-0, 6-1, 5-2, 4-3. (note if you score three 7-0 games and killed Rommel that many times then we will round your score down to 70)

Sportsmanship will be worth 15 total points with a 1-3-5 system. 1 being poorest and involved a judge intervening in the game or being called over to watch. 5 being highest with the person receiving the 5 also having a judge brought over to witness the behavior that lead to the high score.

1- bad behavior a judge needed to intervene, intentionally time wasting such that a judge had to come over and speed the game up, etc

3- normal behavior, what we expect, fun to play with

5- you are the nicest person ever, let your opponent go back, reminded opponent to move on reserves, let opponent take back a horrid move. etc.

HISTORICAL/PAINTING/UNIFORMITY

Backrground is worth 5 points

1- little or no background provided

2 At lest a paragraph or more giving some background.

3 Good background information and some photographs

4 Interesting background that brings the force to life.

5 Outstanding background that fits the force perfectly

PAINTING 5 POINTS

1 unpainted army

2 poorly painted, many models unpainted, primed, etc.

3 Good basic painting, faces, hands, boots and guns

4 Well painted force with added details, accurate colours and scenic basing

5 - every model is a masterpiece

UNIFORMITY 5 points

1 - A hodgepode of different styles of uniforms/models (think DAK/Eastern Front) or unpainted

2 Several Different Styles in the army. (summer/winter uniforms or bases) etc.

3 Most of the models are similar in the style of their painting and basing

4 Similar style across the whole army

5 whole army fits well together and looks like a single figting force.

------------------------------------------------

This is an abbreviated version of the rules and equals a grand total of 100 points with decimals rounded down only if going over 100. This is not the standard BF tourney scheme where general is 60% and the soft scores are 40%. Neither is it an up/down style of sportsmanship score. Although a 1 and a 5 score in sportsmanship has to be signed off by all three judges present. Currently, Terry Leaf, John and myself are the unofficial judges but that will change during the next few weeks as we talk things over.

The goal of this tournament is to provide a fun experience for everyone involved. From newbie to veteran. We will be using the version 2 rules, all lists(need two copies, 4 if DFA force is in play) need to be given to the judges between 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. on the day of the tournament so we can check their validity. Yes all lists must be 1500 or less points.

I hope that helped answer your questions. The rules I listed above are not final, but are what Terry, John and myself have talked about during the last two weeks and are perfectly legal under the BF national Qualifier tournament system.

Also to note, we will be pitting axis vs. allies if possible as well as round winners vs. other winners. Hopefully this will give us a pretty good idea of who won best general. We are doing this to avoid some luck of the draw issues where a veteran may face three newbies, while another veteran could face three other veteran players. Having the winners face off each round, is a better test of skill overall and hopefully will be fun for everyone. The draws will still be random. So any winner could face any other winner, with oddman out getting to face the highest scoring loser(s) drawn if necessary. Common sense will be used and we will have John and his store staff to help in this process to make it fair and as random as possible.

Chris
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

We may have to adjust the scoring system to bring it in line with JP's latest policy on Qualifiers. We are using the BF tournament pack, but have modified as has been noted. I will send more emails and pm's to make sure our modifications are acceptable.

I know that most of the other qualifiers that were held already also modified the scoring in some form or another.

Also to note is that each LGS, club or con may only host a single Qualifier during the year. So we need to talk this over with John and amoungst ourselves to see if we want to wait a little bit more before running the event.

This may allow us to garner more players, as well as give us time to make the tables and terrain much more eye pleasing so the Qualifier will be bigger and better.

According to JP, only second place may fill in at Origins if First place does not go. If there was only a single qualifier. So no chance to hand off down the line farther if 1 and 2 don't go. If we somehow qualify 2, then 3rd and 4th would be the alternates.

Here is JP's statement about the qualifier changes:

"Taking all of the feedback into consideration I am happy to present a refined version of our original plan:

• Qualifying tournaments will be held to produce the attendees of the national finals at Origins 07.
• Qualifying events can be run by any group of gamers be it a store, club or group of friends.
• Qualifying events need to have a minimum of 12 players.
• Qualifying events can send 1 person to the finals for the first 12 players a second finalist if the event has over 20 players and a third for events with over 30 players.
• Qualifying finalists can be replaced by the next winner down at their local event should the original winner not be able or willing to attend the finals at Origins.
• Qualifying events are not restricted by area but by location. No club or store can host more than one qualifier in the year although a city or region may well have more than one.
• Qualifying events can be for any period of the war and any point’s size.
• Qualifying events must use the current FOW tournament pack. This ensures that all players are used to the system that the final will be played with to avoid any surprises.
• Qualifying events must have somebody to adjudicate over the event that is seen as independent. You want to avoid any sense of favoritism or bias.
• Your qualifying army list will have no bearing on what you can take to the finals. Your choice of what to field in either event is entirely up to you.
• The 2007 Origins Final will be a late-war tournament.
• Anybody who won a trophy at last years Origins (on the day and after) automatically get a place in the finals for next year.
• The website will have a dedicated section for US events to highlight the results of events already run and promote events that are coming up. To make sure your qualifying event gets promoted and the results recorded make sure you send us the information as soon as you have it.
• As part of the dedicated section on the website we will have an honour role listing all the winners, what event they won, their chosen army list and their raw scores for the event. This will allow us to rank all winners with a weighting to include the number of people in the event they won to qualify. This will also give us a ranking by which to place the first round players at the finals.
• There will not be an open FOW event at Origins 2007 as this venue will be just for the national finals but anybody who would like to run an open event at any other show is very welcome to do so and we will offer any help we can.
• We are working on a review of the current FOW scoring system to improve several areas of how points are calculated and as soon as it is done we will make the updated version available but until then please use the current version.

Well that just about covers all the answers to the questions that have been raised and I think clarifies in more detail our tournament plan for 2006-2007. I appreciate this may not be what every single one of you wanted, but I think this gives us a great base to work from for this year and as long as we all stay focused on the overriding goal of this entire program, to have fun and play competitive events in the right spirit, we cannot go too far wrong. "

Have Fun
John-Paul
DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

Missions to be played,. In both books- Pre-Read Orders
1. Free for all- Every one knows this mission
2. Encounter- Read Special Rules that apply
3.Fighting Withdrawal- Read Special Rules- A very challenging mission for both sides.
Come prepared, Army lists x 2, all equipment needed and missions pre-read and understood.

fe2mike
Bouncer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

What period, or does it matter?

Lists of the website ok, or published in print only?

Old lists OK, or just out of the new books?

thanks

DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

Mike, Mid war are the only official lists out at this time. Lists come from the 2 new Front books. only version 2 rules. Lists only from the 2 books as point costs have changed from the old books. Many of the lists on the different sites are not approved lists or are based on the old rules. There are lists and rules for early or late war but they are not official and can't be used. If you have the old lists you can go to the FOW web site and down load changes to update your costs and lists. I hope this answers your questions.

Githyanki
Seasoned Browser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

Terrry or chris, I was wondering if you would let me play with my army mostly painted and based? I just might not have enough time to finish my artillery (if merlyns even gets it in before the tourny) and some of my other things. I still really want to play!

P.S: If I dont get my artillery in time, could i borrow someone else's artillery?

Guard??
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

New Tourny Rules:
No Arty with more than AT 3 when VS. My Glorious Tankovy.

Just kidding, but Im sure it will be ok to play without your arty painted. You may loose a point or two on painting though.
ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

Of course you can play with a mostly painted army. We are not painting snobs. Sean is correct when he says you will get a small deduction in the painting score for having some unpainted.

The point is to play and have fun.

Chris
Githyanki
Seasoned Browser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: FOW NATIONAL QUALIFIER SEPT 16th

Chris,

I never thought any of you to be painting snobs, i just wondered if a half painted army is ok. can't wait till the 16th.

see you there,
Jeremiah

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: