Okay, I finally had a chance to compare this with previous volumes I'd played in the past (namely, The Sentinels). I decided to post a few details. NOTE: Everything seen in the movie is included in the book with the exception of the following. . .
- Mecha stats are very different when comparing Shadow Chronicles and Sentinels. The MDC spread has increased, sometimes by only 25 or so, and in some cases all the way on up to a couple hundred (on the Beta for example). Even the serial number designations are different.
For example, Scott's blue "C" fighter is now known as the VF/A-6H. Everything was so different, I thought I was simply going senile and had forgot everything.
- There are no stats or maps for the fleet command ships or the Horizont shuttle. Stats for the Invid clamshell carrier were included though. I was pretty upset by this because I really need technical stats on the Garfish cruiser in time for Spo-Con and I didn't want to have to design my own.
- The REF Destroids are obsolete as well as the upgraded Zentraedi Battle Pods (see below). All the REF Destroids have been replaced with one non-transformable mecha called the MK II Condor battloid. I recognize it from an old Sentinels pre-production sketch in one of the Robotech Art books. It's okay. More mecha variety is always fine with me, but I really loved those Destroids.
It's my campaign, I'm gonna include 'em anyway!
- Through a collaborative effort between the Tirolians and Zentraedi, they've come up with a new type of mecha based on the Bioroid Invid fighters. They're upgraded with heavier MDC and have their own built-in propulsion systems, so no more hover platform. It's pretty sweet looking.
- There's a new Cyclone called a VR057 "Super Cyclone." It's a Cyclone with a giant friggin' 20 mm rail-gun attached on one side. This is the kind of fictional element that never seemed to faze me when I was like. . .12. Now, I'm wondering how the thing can even make right turns.
- There's another new mecha called a VM-9L "Silverback" that looks really kewl. It's a 4-wheeler/Dune buggy-type vehicle that transforms into a battloid mode. I'd always dreamed
of one of these as a kid; even designed one out of a Lego Technic set. So this is really awesome IMO. Problem is, I don't think I could sell a player on it who would rather fly an Alpha or ride a Cyclone.
- There is a new Invid mecha called an Overlord. It's transformable. Turns into like. . .a flying clam.
- The Haydonites have a weird mecha that I don't remember from the movie. It's hard to tell how it moves really. It looks like a giant armored gorilla with jet thrusters in the torso. . .or something.