Newby here league/tourney?
-> GW Warhammer 40k

#1: Newby here league/tourney? Author: J-Roc77Location: Wa state boonies. PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:16 pm
    ----
My name is Josh, I used to play MTG at Merlyn's quite a bit. Well when I had my kid I quit magic and started 40k, I can paint at home in between diaper changes right?

Anyways, I see there is tournaments at times here, I think John said the next one is the Jan. 16th if I am not mistaken. I do have some questions on tourney legal stuff such as 3x colors to even play, army pts, judging paint skills etc. Hope to here back in the form of a message or in this post soon.

I been playing in CDA at a shop that recently opened up. They have been doing escalation leagues. Month 1 play 4 games at 500pts. Month 2, 4 games at 1k pts and so on you get the idea. I was just wondering if there is any groups doing something like this at this store, or mainly tourneys?

#2: Re: Newby here league/tourney? Author: sthar8 PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:51 pm
    ----
Hey Josh,

We run one tournament per month, with our next scheduled for Jan 17th. Because of the success of our 40k tournaments, this month we've decided to try out a Fantasy event, which means our next tournament featuring space marines and tyranids will be in February.

I do not have any requirements for painting at my events, nor does painting contribute to your total score in my tournaments. I believe that adding painting requirements is unnecessarily intimidating to new players, and that we shouldn't punish people for focusing on the gaming aspect of the hobby rather than the painting and modeling.

Most of our store run stuff is our tournaments, but we've got a couple of groups who come down and play during the week.

We had an escalation league a while ago, but we're not currently running one. We've just finished our Lucky 13s campaign, though, so I'm looking for a league format event to run out of the store. Contact me in the store if you're interested.

Steve at Merlyn's

-> GW Warhammer 40k